Drumming

Thursday 20 February 2014

First Time Holding a Beat on the Drums

Playing the Drums

howtostartasong.comWhen I was about seven years old, I remember walking past this music shop and seeing this dark blue pearl drum kit. I didn't know what it was then, but man it looked cool.

Since then, I always had a liking for drums and the sounds they make. I never got to play the drums as I was growing up, they just seemed too far-out of reach, as far as having any capability goes. I ended up playing the guitar instead, which also became a fascination for me.

As I started practicing cover songs, I bought myself a drum machine and would work out all the drums required for the songs we were playing, in the band I was in. That helped me later to write out drum patterns for future original songs.

Over the past 20 years of writing original drum patterns on my drum machine; I have put together a long list of drum patterns that I can use to help me to "practice my drumming".

I bought my first kit

About seven years ago, I think the year was about 2006-07; I bought my first ever drum kit. No big deal I guess, but for me, it was!

I am now 44 years old and last week, when I was at my friend's place. "This is where I leave my kit". While I was having a quick bash on them I was able to hold a drum beat for the first time. That was exciting for me!

I have to thank my friend's 12 year old nephew. It was through him while he was in England visiting over Christmas, he was teaching him [my friend] a basic drumming lesson.

When he [my friend] arrived back in Australia, he then showed me what his nephew had taught him and from there I was able to play and hold my first ever drum beat.

Thank you for that lesson young man. I'm sure you will go on and rock the world!

It is amazing where and how you can learn something new and from who you can learn it from.

Self taught

Being a self-taught musician, the prospects learning to play the drums are a tantalizing thought. I know I will probably develop some bad habits, learning this way, but at this stage of life, I feel carefree enough not worry about those possible outcomes. "I'm not planning to undertake any major concert tours just yet, but maybe next year might be different. Mmmmm."

Anyway, if you are anything like me and you want to play an instrument that you have always wanted to learn, then I say find a way to get started and have fun with it.

Professionally taught

I do however highly recommend having professionally taught lessons if you want to learn how to play to the best of your abilities. Professionally taught lessons will teach you to play correctly and fix any bad habits that you may pick up and develop before they get out of hand, and hinders your playing.

If professional lessons is the way you want to go, then give yourself at least one hour per day to put towards honest practice, meaning, "practice diligently with what you have been taught". After all, you are paying someone to teach you, and you don't want to waste your money or your teachers time.

Good luck with what instrument you decide to pick up and "learn,learn,learn".

howtostartasong.com

No comments: