Drumming

Sunday 15 June 2014

listening and Playing by ear

As I close in on finishing my 1st home recorded [lo-fi] E.p. I have one more song to finish off, and that will give me six songs all polished [or as polished as a home recording I can get] and ready to go, though I have been releasing one song at a time through Bandcamp.



The last song I am working on contains a guitar track I recorded over 10 yrs ago on my four track. When I recorded the track, it was only meant as a demo and the quality of my work was not important, as I planned to redo the track at a later date. Also the quality of my guitar strings weren't important either. They were quit rusty that day. This has proved to be a bit unfortunate as I now have struggled to hear clearly what I played. I haven't played that particular guitar piece since I recorded it, and I have forgotten most of how the track goes.

TIP- When recording, use new guitar strings, even for demo tracks.

I was always confident though of working out what I played, as I had spent years in my early guitar playing days working out guitar tracks [by ear] from my favorite bands, from tapes that were recorded off the original tapes,[pre CD days for me] sometimes second or third generation recordings, so some recordings were a bit muddy.

This practice of listening and playing by ear, helped sharpen my hearing ability over time and I was able to focus in on listening to one particular instrument at a time. [ Also helps with tuning your guitar].

This is a great skill to learn and you should try to practice listening to your favorite songs and working out what they are playing by ear. Using tablature is fine, as some music can be very difficult to work out, but learning to listen and play by ear is a useful skill in songwriting, as there is no tablature to guide you if you have forgotten a piece of your original music you recorded earlier. It will also help you when you write and record your own songs and you're piecing different tracks/instruments together.

Cheers Darryl.

http://www.readyforjammin.com/



















No comments: